Wednesday, June 16, 2010

On May 28,2010

I am posting this late. We returned home from a vacation in the UP. I noticed something was not right in one of our hives... the foundationless one. Posted the following on Bee Source:
Got back from a week away and noticed right away that something wasn't right with one of our hives. Took a look inside and discovered that we have laying workers. A few capped drone cells and lots of cells with multiple eggs.
Now, what to do? Is it worth it to try to replace the queen? Is there anything I can do to make them accept her? Or should I shake it and try to find a nuc? If I can't find a nuc or a package, then I would like to at least try to requeen before I give up on it for the year. This is our first year of beekeeping and I figure it is all a learning experience.

Any advice would be much appreciated!


I ended up shaking the queenless hive in front of the queenright hive. The next day I put the deep from that hive onto the queenright hive. Now we have one hive with 3 deeps. Still feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment